Player. Hunter. Hacker. Pawn.
Warcross by Marie Lu
Released: Sept. 12th, 2017
Series: Warcross Duology
Publisher: G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers
Pages/Hours: 368 pages / 11 hrs 46 mins
Buy it: Amazon | Audible | Local Bookstore
BOOK SUMMARY FROM GOODREADS
For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.
Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire.
I solemnly swear that I will NOT use this review to bash on Ready Player One….but that book really is a shit show and I WON’T GET INTO IT HERE BUT YOU CAN READ THIS IF YOU WANT IT PRETTY MUCH SUMS IT UP. I didn’t write it but I feel it in my soul.
You may be asking yourself, “Why bring up Ready Player One at this moment, Chloé? Aren’t we talking about Warcross? Those are not the same thing. You are unhinged.” Well you would be correct on all accounts. I bring up RPO because
1. I’m still mad I got tricked into reading it.
2. They both center around Virtual Reality Game Worlds.
And while I do have a lot of issues with Warcross, if you’re going to pick a VR centered book, CHOOSE WARCROSS. FOR ALL YOUR READING NEEDS.
WHAT I LOVED.
As always I love ALL DIVERSITY IN YA BOOKS!!! This one has lots of it so that’s great. The future Marie Lu has set up is so….believable? Like we’re ALMOST THERE honestly. I will always love the premise of a poor girl struggling to make ends meet in the city, getting her debts paid off and being swept away to live the high life in a foreign country. PROBABLY BECAUSE I’m still holding out hope this will happen to me?!?!?!?!
And before you go on and read all my many…MANY issues with this book, I feel like I need to point out that I DID ENJOY READING THIS and it was a fun little ride! I am very much excited to read the next one.
That being said….
WHAT WAS MEH.
A LOT of this book is meh, for me. Shall we do bullet points for this one? SURE WHY NOT.
- I’m not sure if this is embarrassing for me to admit or not but it took me WAY too long to figure out how the game worked. Is it because I’m not a gamer? This book is centered around a VR game and I didn’t know how the damn game worked! That was distracting.
- It’s hard not to laugh whenever Emika’s rainbow hair is mentioned because I’ve read about 20 fics where the OC has rainbow hair.
- Like ZERO time is spent establishing relationships. It doesn’t feel like Emika actually connects with any of her teammates so when they come to her aid later it’s kindof like….yeah…but would they though? She doesn’t spend like personal time getting to know them and blows them off for her hottie boyfriend on the regular SOOOOOOOOO.
- Emika is likeable enough until she’s….around people. But ESPECIALLY when she’s around Hideo, she turns into a real cringe-worthy person.
- SPEAKING OF CRINGE WORTHY. I suffered so much secondhand embarrassment with the like…I don’t know what you’d call it, pilLOW TALK?? Like the flirty texting and such? MAYBE IT’S BECAUSE I’M JUST UNCOMFORTABLE WITH INTIMACY but I made this face a lot.
- Like that one time where Emika is texting Hideo and she’s like “What if I want to kiss someone else…?” And then she is PLEASED…??? TO SENSE HIS JEALOUSY???? LIKE GIRL….NOOOOO. I JUST. I DON’T.
- Also there are some pretty cool things set up in this world that then aren’t really….utilized? Like the other bounty hunters, interacting with VR in the Tokyo, these other players and teams that are introduced like they’re going to be important and then…aren’t really. It’s all very disappointing.
- Emika starts out really strong but then like loses her brain or something halfway through the book and is completely out of her depth.
- I got more but they’ll go in the spoilery section of the review!
Alright so I’m just going to be honest with you….most of my interest in this book is because of Hideo Tanaka. The ELUSIVE BILLIONAIRE who invented Warcross and does cool tech things. He pays off all Emika’s debts before he even meets her and is like “TAKE MY PRIVATE JET TO TOKYO SEE YOU SOON.” If it were set during Christmas time there would be a Hallmark movie about it and I WOULD FUCKING LOVE IT.
This part contains spoilers! Highlight the text to read.
I am…let down by the “twists” of this book. That Hideo’s brother is alive is something you see coming as soon as you find out Hideo HAS a brother. The turn that Hideo is actually the bad guy is a tad more surprising, but also not really? Because I felt like there was no real foundation for Hideo and Emika’s relationship it was almost like I was waiting for something like that to happen. I’m MAD ABOUT IT BY THE WAY. What a waste of a fictional hottie you know? It was just lame. I don’t have any other words for it. It was just lame.
The narrator for this decided it was a good idea to do a really terrrrrrrrrrrrrrible British accent for Hideo. Everything else about her was fine, but I caNNOT GET OVER THAT TRULY ATROCIOUS BRITISH ACCENT.
WORTH THE READ?
Meh. It’s pretty fun if you’re looking for a transition read, but otherwise maybe wait until the next one comes out to see if the whole story is worth it.
SOOOO??? What do you think?
Have you read, or are you interested in reading, WARCROSS??