BOOK SUMMARY FROM GOODREADS
Hotshot pilot Nax Hall has a history of making poor life choices. So it’s not exactly a surprise when he’s kicked out of the elite Ellis Station Academy in less than twenty-four hours.
But Nax’s one-way trip back to Earth is cut short when a terrorist group attacks the Academy. Nax and three other washouts escape—barely—but they’re also the sole witnesses to the biggest crime in the history of space colonization. And the perfect scapegoats.
On the run and framed for atrocities they didn’t commit, Nax and his fellow failures execute a dangerous heist to spread the truth about what happened at the Academy.
They may not be “Academy material,” and they may not get along, but they’re the only ones left to step up and fight.
SPACE IS HARD. GRAB A HELMET
HONESTLY I should have done a Light Years/The Disasters TWO-FER Review because I read them back-to-back and they are so similar in vibe , BUT I DIDN’T! So I’m just gonna do a short lil BULLET POINT REVIEW!
GET IN LOSER, WE’RE GOING TO SPACE.
WHAT I LOVED
- *Stefan Voice* This book has everything. Outcasts. Heists. LGBT. SPACE. Sass. Found Families. Explosions.
- Everyone keeps saying it’s like Firefly meets Guardians of the Galaxy but honestly it’s more like Firefly meets Thor Ragnarok because as we all know Ragnarok is the ChaoticBisexual child of the MCU.
- It comes out the gate SWINGING! The action is instant and throws you right into the shit with these characters!
- Speaking of characters I love and care about all of them but have ALREADY FORGOTTEN ALL THEIR NAMES. I got nicknames for them tho. Don’t worry. We’ve got:
- MINI CAPTAIN KIRK
- HOT BRITISH GAY
- HOT KICKY DOCTOR
- HOT ANXIETY BLONDE
- HOTTIE WITH ALL THE CRIME PLANS
- Nax (aka Mini Captain Kirk and I only got his name cus it’s in the book summary HA!) is such sweet pilot babe with the weight of the world on his sassy bi shoulders. Actual Disaster Gay™ cus he can’t decide if he likes the hot guy or the hot girl so what’s a hot pilot to do?! A totally charming narrator that I’d be glad to save the world with any day.
- Love the world building and little details like:
- Muslims in space! How do they know when to pray? Fortunately, there’s an app for that!
- You can NEVER come back to Earth once you pop off to the colonies! For fear of containment.
- I really appreciate this nice little moment where two of the characters talk about their anxiety. I got anxiety too, but that doesn’t have to stop me from ALSO being a space idiot! REPRESENTATION MATTERS!
- There is ALWAYS action and they are ALWAYS being cheeky about it.
- Also just look at that COVER! I’m gorgeous
- You know that scene in Parks and Rec where Jean Ralphio is like “You just missed the craziest of crazies. Clubs, girls, dancing, naked, Mom!? argument, police, fleeing the scene, hiding in a dumpster, crashing on your couch for a week because technically I’m ho-omeless — hey mustache — I’ma hit the couch, you know where I be.” – this book got the SAME VIBES.
“Every cell in my body says “Oh god YES! Crime?! I can do some crime!”
WHAT WAS MEH.
- IF you’re someone who can’t really get into superficial books this one might not be for you. But it was just the bubbly space banger I was looking for so I loved it!
- SAD it’s only a stand-alone and there won’t be anymore books with these characters!!!
WORTH THE READ?
YES. It’s fun! It’s exciting! It’s DISASTER GAYS IN SPACE and at some point in your life that is EXACTLY the vibe you are going to be looking for, and you can find it RIGHT HURR.
IF YOU LIKED THIS YOU MIGHT LIKE…
Just gonna ping everyone back Light Years and Starflight! (WHY WON’T MORE PEOPLE READ STARFLIGHT???)